Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gearing Up for Memorial Day Weekend!

My family, my parents, and my sister and brother-in-law are all getting ready to head down to lovely Shelbyville, IL for some holiday camping. We have cabins, so it's kind of like luxury camping. In preparation, I have dug out X2 - Castle Amber, and printed up some player copies of Labyrinth Lord (first 60 pages).


I've had this module printed out for some time, but now that I'm actually reading it, I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. It's a really fantastic adventure, and is right in line with the sort of things I like (tons of W E I R D!)

I'm going to try to get my dad to play, too. That should make for some good times!

I'm going to do my best to just play straight by-the-book LL rules, since we've never really done that. I'm going to give characters 20,001 xp to start, which will be level 5 for everyone except elves (level 4) and thieves (level 6). The only thing I'm not real clear on is what sort of magic items to start people with, if any. Most modern games have guidelines as to how much magical treasures a player should have at a given level, yet old-school games have no such guidelines, and I suspect that this varies wildly from DM to DM.

So, I'm open to any suggestions. Also, if you have any experiences to share concerning this particular module, I'd love to hear them!

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!

5 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to put into words how much I love X2, Castle Amber - have fun! It's really over-the-top deadly, but the various Ambers provide amazing opportunities for small roleplaying vignettes. (And in many cases, talking to them is better than fighting, seeing as so many of them are high level wizards).

    For level 5, I'd give everyone a +1 item (armor or weapon or ring) and a consumable item - scroll or potion. It's a bit deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, great choice! A lovely funhouse it is--and really expansive, given the sojourn in Averoigne. I wrung a good two months of weekly sessions out of this module.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And as for your other question, I agree with Beedo's suggestion. I'd go so far as to give them both a permanent and consumable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we got as far as character creation, but between my sister being preggers and the great outdoors calling, we never got around to actually playing. Oh well, the module will be filed under "use this one soon!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, that sounds awesome. Where can I purchase a family that goes camping and plays D&D for 3day weekend?

    ReplyDelete

As long as this isn't nonsense spam, I'll approve your comment.