Friday, January 6, 2012

Outland Appendix N

Just for fun, I figured I'd list some of the inspirational material I have used or plan to use for the Adventures in Outland campaign.

Stefan Poag does Fomalhaut

Let's see...

Gaming Materials

Books / Fiction
  • The Dying Earth by Jack Vance
  • At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
  • Miscellaneous Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber
  • Miscellaneous Clark Ashton Smith (particularly the ones set on distant planets)
  • Miscellaneous Robert E. Howard
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric Stories
  • Andre Norton's Witch World series
TV & Movies
  • Alien
  • Adventure Time
  • The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
  • Ghost Dog
  • Wizards (Ralph Bakshi)
  • He-Man
  • Zardoz
  • Conan the Adventurer cartoon
  • That Spanish Dagon movie
  • Dr. Who
  • The Twilight Zone
  • Indiana Jones
  • Star Trek
  • Star Wars
  • Ninja Scroll
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon
  • The Pirates of Dark Water
  • Thundarr the Barbarian
  • Thundercats
  • The Lost City (1935)
  • 2001
  • 2010
  • Apocalypto
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • Planet of the Vampires (1965)
  • Soloman Kane
  • Sodium Babies
  • Spaceballs
  • Stargate
  • Fire in the Sky
  • Pretty much every David Lynch film
That's all I can think of at the moment...

9 comments:

  1. I like this Appendix N more than I liked the one in the 1e DMG!
    Btw, what's this Fomalhaut that I keep on hearing about? Where can I find more info on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, Tony:

    http://fomalhaut.lfg.hu/2011/01/17/sword-and-magic/

    Much of it is written in Foreignlandian, but the English sections are rad. Some material has appeared in Fight On! as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fomalhaut is the setting for Gabor Lux's Sword & Magic game. You can find the game rules and a few adventures here:
    http://fomalhaut.lfg.hu/2011/01/17/sword-and-magic/

    He also has an adventure in just about every issue of Fight On.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, how can I make it look like I posted before Jeff?...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Nod mention - puts me in impressive company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice inspiration. Witch World has been on my list for a while now. Need to get around to reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, that so closely mirrors my own App. N for my campaign that it's scary.

    You going to be doing sessions on G+? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I run on G+ every other monday 10pm to 12am CST. Shoot me an email if you want to be added to the list (jderam at the google mails).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, this post makes for a very nice wishlist! ;)

    ReplyDelete

As long as this isn't nonsense spam, I'll approve your comment.