Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fisher-Price My First Painted Miniature

For Christmas this year, my wife got me (I bought with her blessing) a starter set of Reaper Master Series paints, which includes the first 54 colors in the set, and is enough to do most things, as long as you aren't afraid to do a bit of mixing here and there. Then of course I also had to buy brushes, and I had to get the best kind, and numerous other supplies. When it was all said and done, I spent a few hundred dollars on supplies for painting minis.

I am OCD about most things I undertake, so I spent hours reading online about how to paint minis at sites such as Hot Lead before I started trying to paint anything. I also got my sister the book How to Paint Citadel Miniatures, and had a gander before I wrapped it up for her hehe.

Haha, I just typed the title into google to find a nice link to where one might be able to purchase the book, and the first result was a scribd link to the full pdf, so there ya have it!

At any rate, here are the results of my first outing as a mini painter:

Nualia - Front View


Nualia - Rear View
Sorry for the grainy pics. I either need to get a new camera or need to take some photgraphy lessons - not sure which. Perfect? Hell no, but I was happy with the results considering it was my freshman effort. I still need to add another layer of flock to try to cover up the metal between her feet, and the color of the flock looks way crappier than I anticipated, so I'll probably apply some paint to that as well.

I only tried painting a mini once before in my life, when I was around 14 or so. I used a crappy watercolor brush, and lord knows what kind of paint. Needless to say, it was an absolute mess. It was so bad that I couldn't even wrap my head around how painting these things was possible. Turns out that being older, more patient, and having a bit of a bigger budget with which to buy the proper equipment goes a long way towards producing a better result. The flipside of that is that finding the time to set aside to do some painting with a 2-year-old running around the house can be rather difficult. Hopefully I can get up to a better production rate than one mini per two months. Otherwise, this queue of a dozen unpainted minis is going to last a long time!

The next thing I want to learn how to do is how to make those awesome dungeon tile-looking bases. If anyone has any good tips or links on the topic, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As long as this isn't nonsense spam, I'll approve your comment.